Monday 15 May 2017

Writing with Anxiety: A New Problem

Evening all,

Following on from last weeks 'Mental Awareness Week' article, I have been continuing to get some help as part of my continuing effort to work as a journalist.

However, I have been informed that there's something seriously wrong with me (apart from the anxiety). I have been suggested to take some online tests about how I write and how I think.

I did these tests over the past week, and the results came back this morning. The tests say that I am Dyslexic

When I read them, I felt relieved and upset at the same time. I feel relieved that I know that apart from Anxiety, I now know the reason why my writing has never been up to a high standard. Even though I'm developing my skills through the RFL, I know that my current style of writing won't get me places.

On the flip side, I feel upset now know that I have this disability along with my anxiety, I fear my chance of getting a job are getting smaller. I get the feeling that many editors who work at the BBC or at ITV will now know this and they'll think less of me as I'm not a good writer. 

What I don't understand is that this is the same test I completed in 2009, and yet this time I've been diagnosed with Dyslexia. Maybe perhaps that my mental state has changed over time. 

But looking back on this, I think that this discovery will help me and not hinder my chances. There are not many journalists out there who suffer from Anxiety and Dyslexia. So I see this as a new challenge. I am no quitter and there's no reason why I should be discriminated for applying for jobs that involve with work that I really enjoy doing, even with my condition. 

So with that in mind, it's business as usual but on a different scale. 

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment