Thursday 28 June 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 5


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 5:  14th August 1999: What a difference a view makes

Evening all,



A lot of changes happened during the summer of 1999, especially for me and for Gillingham FC, Gills got rid of their long serving manager Tony Pulis and changes were made on and off the pitch as Priestfield Stadium was being rebuilt as part of the future of the club under the ‘Scally’ era.

But the main thing for me was that i turned 17. And normally for people at that age they ask for either a big birthday party or money towards driving lessons as a birthday present.

But all i asked for as a 17th birthday present was to buy a Gillingham FC season ticket for the new season. I bugged and begged my parents throughout the whole month of July to get one in time for my birthday; i also worked as a waiter in order to help with the costs as well. And to my delight on my birthday I was whisked upto Priestfield to buy my first ever season ticket for the club.



I could not wait for the first game on the 14th August, and when it came what i saw from the view, made me totally fall in love for the first time.



When I sat down for the first time in the seat, it gave me a decent tactical view of what was going on when the Gills were defending and attacking as well. And being at the back of the stand, it was the normal place where the gills fans are the loudest and the more vocal as well. Something which i grow accustom to during the days of the old stand during the previous season.

But the game though was a difficult game to watch, it seemed that the Gillingham side i saw was totally different from the one i saw at Wembley a couple of months previously. It was a tactical scrap against Bristol Rovers and they won the game 1-0 with a strike from prolific goal poacher Jason Roberts.

After the game initially i felt that it was not the right thing to do but then i thought that the season is not decided after one game but the view i had from that seat made me feel the need to get behind the team and help them improve over the season.

It turned out later to be as season which i will never forget.

13 years later, I still have the same seat and i still have the same buzz every time Gillingham plays at home. Although i have sat in other seats in the stadium – including the press box – i still consider it my seat and as long i am still around i will always have that seat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment