Wednesday 4 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 11


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 11:  28th April 2003 – The Journalism journey begins

Evening all,

This day i have to say was one the days i will never ever forget. It was the moment where without a shadow of a doubt, properly started off my career as a reporter and gave me a taste of what was to come once i get my qualifications as a reporter.

It was a work placement with the BBC, one of the companies where i would love to work in the future. And it was with the team based in Tunbridge Wells – the local news team that were based there.

It was all part of my final university project where we had to spend a week working in the media, i though about trying to get a placement with the team at BBC South East.


But it was a challenge to get the work placement in the first place; I had to prove to them that i had a passion for working in the industry and to write a critique about their coverage in the area compared with ITV Meridian.

But once I got confirmation of the placement, i could not wait to get started.


 The Great Hall, Tunbridge Wells - Home of BBC South East

It was going to start of the 28th April 2003 – it was going to be a long week ahead.

I got to the newsroom just after 9 a.m. where a kind person showed me around the place where i was going to be working over the next week. It was a smallish newsroom with a connecting studio and gallery, essential i feel when you need to make a mad rush to make a bulletin.  Over the day i learned a lot about what goes into making a news programme especially in the gallery and on the planning desk.

It was a really interesting day; i also got involved by arranging some of the bookings for the reporters and also learning key tips on how to run a successful gallery.

After the day ended, i wanted to get more out of the placement as i feel that i was really enjoying my time here.

I managed to spend the whole week with the team there; i got out and about to Brighton and Pembury as well. I also learned more techniques in the gallery, on the planning desk and also reporting as well.

Once the week ended, it was sad to leave the team there, but i have learned a lot there which will help me complete my university course and hopefully move onto another university to do a journalism diploma.

Once i headed back to university to report on my time with BBC South East, the teachers were very impressed with my time there and got a well decent grade for my report. They also mentioned that if the effort i made there was equalled in my university course i would have got a higher grade, that didn’t disappoint me as i just wanted to get University out of the way and concentrate of how do i start my journalism career from here.

Ironically 9 years later, i headed back to the team at Tunbridge Wells to shadow a reporter for the day. I hope that they know that the time away from my initial start with them back in 2003 has made me an enenergetic reporter looking for my big break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment