Thursday 12 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 19


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 19:  1st February 2007 – I did what i had to do.

‘There comes a time, where a man should be accountable for his actions’.  

Evening all,

Life for me when i moved to Nottingham was starting to move forward, i was on an education course which i was really enjoying.

I was working with people who i respected as fellow journalists including a fantastic course leader called Barnie. I was enjoying life on my own from my family for the first time and I also had a chance of being in relationship with someone who really liked me.

Life for me was looking pretty rosy – then all of a sudden i was told by the banks that i was not going to get the financial help that i needed to stay on the course.

This was a massive blow; I felt that for the first time my dream of me being a reporter was totally unrealistic. Although there was a chance i can stay for the whole year and try to get the finances later in the year, i decided to take the heart breaking decision to leave the course.

The day of the decision was the 1st February 2007 – which in the NTU calendar was the halfway point of the year. But for me there was one last hurrah on my behalf. It was time to finish off semester 1 with my colleagues and it was time for the news day trial.

I was given the task of reporting on a new social online programme and its impact on the people of the East Midlands. I did a really creative report which i morphed into an avatar from the programme.

The feedback i got from that report i did with the team still stays with me today. To do a really creative and eye catching news report and seeing it branded as a ‘pure genius’ report was emotional for me to hear.  

When the programme finished, Barnie broke the news to the team that i was leaving the course, there were a few people who was upset that I was leaving but there were a couple of people who just didn’t give a S*** about me leaving. I would mention names but I’m not that bitter over me leaving as it was my decision to leave.


Me with the NTU CBJ MATV class of 2006-07

I still keep in contact with most of the guys from the year i had to drop out of. Some of these people have moved onto local radio and even a couple have made the limelight of working for ITV and the BBC and abroad on international stations like CBC in Canada.

What still gets me upset to this day was that i was working with people who have moved onto bigger and better things and to be associated with that group for one semester at least proved to me that i do have what it takes to be a reporter/journalist but it will take me longer to achieve it. 

Looking back i still feel it was the right thing to do, but the decision of leaving totally f***** me up for a long time after the decision.   

Sadly for me there were still darker days to come,

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment