Saturday 14 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 21


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 21:  31st August 2008 – on the road again back to Nottingham

"Only those bold enough to chase dreams are the ones who catch them." WWE

Evening all,



It took me a long time to realise how hard it would be to go back to Nottingham. After May 2007 i felt depressed, hungry but determined to get back on my own two feet and get back to Nottingham Trent for either 2007 or 2008 entry.

But after a long journey spent around Britain i was ready to go back to Nottingham.  

The day i went back was going to be the 31st August 2008, but how was my recovery and how did it help me get me back on my own two feet.

I spent the summer of 2007 in the south west of England living with my mum in Torquay. It was an excellent opportunity to get away from what happened to me in Nottingham and after only a week, i got myself a new job and i made some new friends in the town as well. So i was settling into my new surroundings well.

I also managed to keep in contact with Nottingham Trent Uni over this time and they were willing to let me back for October 2007 entry but once again due to finances, i decided not to enter this year and reapply for entry in 2008. I felt that this was the time to move out on my own and try to save as much as i can to go back to Nottingham in August.

I was then offered a transfer of location to Taunton for November 2007; although it was a temporary transfer with the option to stay permanently, this also gave me another opportunity to move out on my own again away from my mum.

Living in Taunton helped me get used to living on my own and with new people as well. I was very helpful in work and at my house where i was living. Christmas of 2007 was a hard working one but it was enjoyable.

After Christmas, I was offered a full time transfer to work in Bristol. This is where i really enjoyed my time. I had an excellent full time job working with people who enjoyed my input and company; i had an excellent place to live which was behind the end stand of Bristol City FC and it was an excellent time for me to recover and enjoy my life again.


Living in Bristol and Weston-Super-Mare also converted me to being a cider drinker. 

One of the perks of living in Bristol was also part working in Weston-Super-Mare. It is a nice little seaside town about 30 minutes away from Bristol and favoured by folks from the Midlands. I normally spent my free time here in Weston as well as working the odd day here as well.

I was also working here when the pier at Weston-Super-Mare caught fire and burnt down. The people who took pictures and also who i talked to about their memories of the pier and the future of the town helped me get my reporting/journalism mojo back.

After an enjoyable summer of 2008, it was nearly time to go back to Nottingham, but this time, i almost had everything prepared to go back. I had a really nice place to stay which i can afford to live decently on, I had a job to work as well which i enjoyed doing, all i needed was the finances, which i had to get when i moved to Nottingham.

On that weekend of the 31st August, i said goodbye to all of my friends from Weston and Bristol. It was sad to leave them but i promised them that i will return soon to enjoy a cider with them.

So i thank god for letting me stay in these locations which helped me recover and got me enjoying life again.

I just hope i can get that again from my second time in Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment