Sunday 1 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 8


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 8:  17th November 2000: Farewell Fulston and thanks for the memories 

Evening all,



Ever since day one i joined Fulston Manor in July 1995, my main focus was to settle in quickly and more importantly do well in my classes.

But after a few tests the results meant that i was put in a low set for both English and maths. This did disappoint me but i was determined to work my way up. On a positive note though i have made some new friends – including rebuilding friendships from my times from guys who went to Canterbury road which was what i needed after my time with SCC.

After a few years and getting though my GCSE’s and the end of Sixth Form, it was time for me to leave Fulston and continue my journey into the big world by going off to university.

My last hurrah with Fulston was to be on the 17th November 2000, but i had no idea on how big the night was going to be for me.

The night itself was an excellent occasion to meet up with a few friends i have not seen since we left Fulston in July, and also with guys i also see on nights out and about in town.

But when i got to the hall where the ceremony was being held, Ben – a friend of mine – said to me ‘John you won an award!’ my immediate reaction was ‘Are you kidding me?’ then I checked the programme and it was true i did win an award, but to my astonishment it was the big award of the night:

‘The Rockall trophy for progression throughout school life’

I was in total shock; i have never won an award in my life. But it seems that all my hard work both in and out the classroom whilst being here at fulston has paid off. It was an excellent way for the school to showcase themselves as they took me on and gave me the opportunity to progress further. If i was told this at the start of year 9 that i would win an award i would not believe them.

As the night progressed it was time to receive my award – it was the last award of the evening and just as the headmaster Mr Brookes began to speak, i felt there was a sense of excitement for what was about to happen.

He spoke to say on how he met me at the meeting with Mr Herbert in 1995, and for him to see me progress well both in and out of the classroom was well rewarding to see. He also said for someone to get a GNVQ Advance Media qualification with low GCSE results proves that anyone in life who has determination to succeed in life, ultimately they will. He also wished me well for the future at university and beyond.



John Seager collects the Rockall Trophy from Jamie Brown, to a big applause from the audience. 

As i went up to received my award – a massive trophy which i can near enough compare as a size of a 6 pint glass – the cheers and part standing ovation i got from everyone was emotionally touching. I did not see myself as a popular guy at Fulston – Especially with the ladies –  but for this to happen for me proves that the move i craved for back in 1995 was totally justified and if the move did not happen none of this would ever come true.

I was going to lift the trophy above my head and celebrate; i was also tempted to make a little speech as well. But i was dignified and just sat back down in my seat.

It was also nice seeing my parents there with me getting this award it was a hard time for them at the time so this was a nice result for them to see as well.



All of the winners from the evening's festivities  

After the ceremony ended and a lot of pictures were taken, i was asked by a number of people ‘was moving schools in year 9 worth the move and would you do it again?’

I thought long and hard about it and after a pause i said:

‘after the all of the pain of adjusting to a new school, after all the rejections i had from asking a number of girls out, after all of the difficult excursions i went on with the school, after all of the tedious times i spent with some people at the school, after all of the anguish of my bad GCSE results, after all of the long hours staying after school just to get my GNVQ award, after all of the fallout where i shaved my eyebrow off on a school trip to Cornwall and after the number of hours  i spent from 8am to 2pm just getting my GNVQ award, has it been worth the move?

The simple answer is: of course it was and would i do it again, in a heartbeat.’

No comments:

Post a Comment