Tuesday 10 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 17


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 17:  24th December 2004 – A bright star over 10 Ruins Barn Road

‘There comes a time where in one night, everything in your life can change.’ 


Evening all,

As a family we have been through a pretty tough time during 2003 and 2004 but i was hopeful that things would change for the better towards the end of the year.

Then i find out that my sister is pregnant with her first child. I was happy for her and it will be to have a new addition to the family.

Little did i know though when it was going to happen. On my way back from work one day, i got a call from my dad saying that my sister is going into labour. So i knew it won’t be long after this. A day later she gave birth to a baby girl and she would home in time for Christmas.

It day itself would be the 24th December, The evening though itself was spent just like the year before.

I finished work in Canterbury early and managed to get back to town for a few beers and even a couple of games of pool – A sport which i have to admit i think I’m quite good at – followed by more beers in my local till late into the night.

Luckily for me there was no club to go to as the club we went to last year closed down as the owner died suddenly during the past year. So we decided to call it an evening and i went home.

On my way home i found out that my sister was back from the hospital with the baby as well. Once i got in the first i had to do was to sit down on my sofa and have one massive cuddle with her.

Ella-Louise was only a day old and she was a big as my thigh but the atmosphere we had in the house over Christmas was very special. I was really looking forward to being an uncle.


Me and Ella-Louise from her birthday party.

From that day onwards, i have always kept an eye out looking after Ella and her brother Harry who was born in 2007. Although seeing her grow up so fast does make me feel old. But i have tried to keep her on the straight and narrow and i have enjoyed spending as much time with her.

It also gives me an extra to look for around Christmas time - Her birthday is the 23rd December. An extra reason to celebrate i think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment