Wednesday 11 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 18


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 18:  1st October 2006 – One Step Beyond

‘Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer.’ Marcia Wieder

Evening all,

I knew that there would be a time where i had to move on and continue my journey of following my dream of being a broadcast journalist. But at the time i did not know how to do it or how to start.

So i came up with initially ‘Project Plan A’ which was to apply for a couple of journalism courses at 2 different universities in 2005.  Although i did make the interview stage for one of them, i failed to get on the courses. 

So i went back to the drawing board and applied for 6 courses at different universities under the banner of ‘Project Plan B’. This time i was more successful with 3 interviews. 2 of these interviews went so well that they would offer me a place on their courses. It came down to a coin toss between Nottingham Trent Uni and Staffordshire Uni. Nottingham Trent was the heads and it came up heads. 

Just for the record - NTU won fair and square 

But because of the financial costs, i still could not commit to Nottingham Trent University not until the last week of September 2006. So i had to let them know that i will try to get the finances sorted out whilst I’m in Nottingham. 

This was a bombshell for my family as they did not believe that i could get the finances for the year in Nottingham but i persuaded them that I’ll be ok whilst I’m up there. It was also sad for my work colleagues in Canterbury as i was leaving them onto better times but they wished me well in my mew job in Nottingham. 

The day i left home was the 1st October 2006 – a day before my course started. I was initially going to stay with my mum who was living on the outskirts of Lincoln at the time so it was really nice to spend some time with her again. 

Once i got up there with only 3 suitcases worth of clothes and bits, i felt that i was taking a really big journey into the unknown.  But for the sake of my career it had to be done or i will have never move forward with my career and my life. 

It turned out to be a good idea at the time to do, but from this day, my life went downhill really quickly.

To be continued.....



No comments:

Post a Comment