Wednesday 18 July 2012

John Seager's 30 for 30: Day 25


A Cunning look back of 30 days which have changed my life over the past 30 years

Day 25:  10th January 2011 – Almost my big break

The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes” Earl of Beaconsfield

Evening all,


Once i left university with my qualification as a qualified broadcast journalist, i felt it was natural to try and get my career of to a great start. So i tried to get as much work experience as i can. This was difficult than i thought it would be as all i go t was a local placement on a radio station for a week. So i decided to try my luck further afield in Kent and i got a placement with the KM Newspapers group based in Maidstone.

It was a good period of time that i spent there and i learned a lot from the team in Maidstone. But after my placement was over, it was time to continue to find my own work and i applied for a job as an ITV news trainee – which I’ve been told is one of the best ways to being a career as a reporter.

However in the past my past applications have ended in defeat – I’ve also upset a few people as well as one my past applications ended with me apologising after a 4 word comment was mentioned on Facebook about everyone in ITV news. But i was determined to overcome this and apply again.

Luckily for me this time i was shortlisted for an interview, i was pretty happy that i made it this far and i was hopeful that i can do what i need to do in order to be selected for the traineeship. So i setup a plan to help me with this.

The interview was going to be held on the 10th January 2011. So i didn’t have a lot of time to do this. But with a couple of days to go before the interview, i managed to get a few critiques and news stories for the day itself.

I hope that we will meet again really soon, once I've proved myself. 

On the day of the interview, I got to London in plenty of time to have a look around and try to find the ITV studios in Central London. One i got there i was pleasantly surprised that i bumped into one of my old friends from the Nottingham Trent Uni 2006-07 group who was working at ITV at the time. Chris and I had a nice chat about the day ahead for me and he wished me luck.

After that we were ushered upstairs ready for the day to begin, i had a feeling that it was going to be a long day but i didn’t know how tough it was going to be.

I spent the first half of the day trying my hand of organising a structure of an idea for a news story and also sorting out a programme order for a local news programme. I felt that i did pretty well in the news story idea; i contributed a lot and had some good ideas which were well received by my colleagues in the group. However, the same can’t be said for the programme order; as a group we failed to come up with a programme in the time allowed and although i did contribute to the task, i didn’t stand up for what news stories i believed would make a good local news programme.

After lunch, the tests got tougher as it was time to showcase our general knowledge and writing skills. I did feel that i did well and both of these tests although looking back now i felt that some of the answers i gave were incorrect but at least i tried to answer the questions. With the writing tests it did take me a few goes just to get it right which i felt did hamper me as i felt that they were looking for someone who can write news intros in an instant. I can do it now but i couldn’t do it then.

The final part of the interview was a 2 on 1 interview. I got drawn Richard Frediani – Ex ITV Granada’s head of news and now ITV News at 6.30 programme editor – and Phil Braund – Ex ITV Central head of news.  I felt that i did have a decent interview with them. I was given the opportunity to improve what changes i would have made from my earlier tests. Although i felt that impressed with my critiquing of work from local news storied across ITV News, i failed to impress them with my story ideas and other ways which i felt that they were looking for as an ITV News trainee. After the interview finished it was time to leave.

I left the building, knowing in my head and heart that i failed to get onto the traineeship, and i only had myself to blame. I couldn’t impress anyone on the panel that i was worthy enough to be an ITV new trainee. And within a week i found out that i didn’t make the final 8 for the traineeship.

Although this did upset me at the time i felt that it was time to move on and wait for the next opportunity – should it come. Although i did take a small positive from this was that i wasn’t the only one currently in my position. But it’s what i do next which i feel will help me become a reporter.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment